Having professionals that I trust who are willing to come out while I’m at work is not something I take for granted. I basically kiss the ground they walk on for being so flexible. It does get a bit frustrating though when I get a report that I’m not sure warrants panic or just mild interest. Let’s face it. Anything horse related will automatically cause panic until I’m told otherwise.
The chiro vet came out yesterday while I was working and I waited anxiously for an update on how it went. I had been noticing some extra sensitivity to his left SI area while grooming lately and worried he may be super tight or need some extra help back there. He was moving fine under saddle and didn’t seem resistant to anything, but it caught my attention. Really I’d been meaning to do this for an entire year ever since he was lame last summer but only recently found someone I trusted who didn’t require me to take off work. She is the same vet that does our equine dental work and the one who recommended we test Gemmie for cushings. I love this woman.
Dusty gave me a brief text update mid afternoon that “Eeyore was good. Report to come later tonight”. Did that mean good as in well behaved or good as in healthy? Who knows?
It was around 9 pm before the report came through and it made my stomach tighten into a ball as I envisioned a fiery death to all my future plans. Maybe a bit melodramatic but after spending all of last year fighting his right side lameness from his hoof, seeing on the report “mild head bob right front and hind” made my vision go dark around the edges.
She did note that his left shoe (not sure which but guessing the hind where I yanked the errant nail out of Monday night) was loose and needed a reset (farrier already planned on coming today so that is covered) and that he was sensitive to palpation to the left SI and had a mild effusion to the left stifle.
The only recommendation noted was to reset shoes and give Equioxx 57 mg once daily for 10 days.
Of course I read this and immediately thought “oh great. He is lame on that right front again. Another summer of no riding. And now apparently his left stifle has gone to shit which probably means no jumping in his future and what am I going to do with an 8 year old horse who can’t be jumped when I want to event but I love his big lug head and can’t see selling him but he can’t be a retired pasture puff at 8 years old and ahhhhhhh!!!!”
Normal horse ownership stuff.
I then proceeded to annoy the crap out of Dusty who obviously had no answers but had the misfortune of being near me so he got bombarded anyway. He did agree to bring the Equioxx home to start that today and then told me to just call her in the morning and talk to her about it. Which is all good and dandy except my mind had already gone off the deep end.
This morning at 8 am I called her and immediately blurted out “Is he lame? Does he need retired? Please tell me he isn’t lame!” Which was very professional of me, I know. I’m all cool and calm like that. She laughed because she is awesome and proceeded to tell me that while he isn’t lame, she does think there is something wrong and that it isn’t chiropractic. Well, damn.
Basically, she isn’t a fan of his left pelvis as a whole. The stifle effusion is related to the way he is traveling in the hip so she wasn’t too concerned about that. She also shrugged off the right sided head bob as also related to the left hip. Phew, I mean, it isn’t great to have an issue but if it was the same issue biting me in the butt yet again I might have pulled my hair out. At least this is something new. She noted that in gait he is bringing the left hind medially under him with forward progression more so than he does with the right hind. All again tied into the left hip.
She wants to do a 10 day trial of Equioxx to see if maybe it is just inflammation and soreness though she didn’t sound particularly optimistic it would help any. It is free though, so why not try it? She wants me to continue to ride him thinking more work and movement will be beneficial so my lesson for tonight is still on. Yay? I don’t know. Maybe Trainer AB will have some insight in his way of going. I’m off for my first vacation since 2012 all next week, so that will give him a week off to digest his meds and then the vet will be back out on July 8th for a recheck. If he isn’t any better, she will do a full on lameness/performance exam on him to try to see what is going on in that left hip to create this issue.
I guess best case is he gets better with the meds and life moves on. Next best case he needs a left side SI injection and becomes right as rain again. A little maintenance with a yearly SI injection doesn’t bother me though he is only 8 years old and I had hoped to not need anything like that until his early teens or so. Sigh. Worst case….I don’t know. I’m not letting myself go there until she takes me down that route. For now, he is getting new shoes this afternoon, I have a preemptive make up lesson tonight in place of next week, and he will get some meds and time off while I sit on a boat in the middle of the ocean with no cell service.